Loan Exit Counseling

Make the right kind of exit

Federal regulations and UCI policy require that if you’ve taken out a student loan to help pay for school, you must complete exit counseling before you graduate or drop below 6 units. It’s to ensure you know your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. You’ll get information about the types of loans you received, when and where to make your payments, what to do if you can’t make your payments, and what can happen if you don’t make your payments.

When am I required to do the Exit Counseling?

Any of the following conditions may require you to start repayment:
  • Enrollment in less than half-time (6 units) status
  • Graduation
  • Withdrawal or Cancellation from UCI
  • Administrative Dismissal
  • Graduate students’ on Filing Fee status
  • Participating in an IOP program (check with your host institution)

Which Exit Loan Counseling do I need to complete?

Exit Counseling - Federal Loans

If you received a subsidized, unsubsidized, or Graduate PLUS loan under the Federal Direct Loan Program, you will need the following:

  • Your FSA ID
  • Details on your income, financial aid, and living expenses
  • References: names, addresses, e-mail addresses and phone numbers of next of kin 

You can complete this requirement online.

Alternately, you can view a pdf guide.

Exit Counseling - Campus-Based Loans

If you received University-funded loans, such as University, Dream or Hawk Loans, you will need the following:

  • Your Heartland ECSI account number (if you don’t have it, you can also search by using your first name, last name, Social Security Number, and zip code)
  • References: names, addresses, e-mail addresses and phone numbers of next of kin.

UCI's loan servicer, Heartland ECSI, will contact you with instructions for completing your exit interview. Please call them at (888)549-3274 if you do not receive any correspondence two to three months after you graduate.  

How do I know which loans I owe?

You can find the loan history of loans you borrowed while enrolled at UCI in My Loan History in MyAid. If you need to know who your federal student loan servicer is, check with Federal Student Aid.

What if I forget to do my exit counseling?

Remember, it’s just one of the responsibilities to borrow a student loan. But, we understand that it could happen. We will verify your enrollment at the end of each term, and if you are not enrolled, we will send you an e-mail reminding you. So, keep your mailing and e-mail address up to date.